Thursday, August 1, 2013

It's Really Quite Simple


In my youth I was a big fan of Robert Heinlein. My reading tastes have since strayed from SF/Fantasy, but I still refer to Heinlein's famous "Rules of Writing" when I feel I need a kick in the rear to get back to the keyboard. Like today.

Heinlein's Rules of Writing:

1) You must write.
2) You must finish what you write.
3) You must not rewrite unless to editorial demand.
4) You must mail your work to someone who can buy it.
5) You must keep the work in the mail until someone buys it.

As these rules were written in 1947, a modern addendum (as suggested by author Dean Wesley Smith) to Rules 4 and 5 for self-publishers in today's digital era might be:

4a) You must upload your work to Amazon, BN, or Smashwords so someone can buy it.
5a) You must keep your work on said sites until someone does.

Writing is really quite simple, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment